Call Today 404.334.3324

How Do I File a Claim Against the United States Government?

If you’ve been injured, your property has been damaged, or someone died as a result of a federal employee’s negligence or wrongdoing, you’ll want to know how you can recover compensation for your losses.

Read on to learn how to file a claim against the United States government.

Steps to Take

If you wish to submit a claim against the federal government for negligent or wrongful actions committed by a federal employee under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA), you’ll need to fill out the Standard Form 95.

You’ll need the following information to fill out this form:

  • Your name, address, and personal representative (if applicable)
  • Date of birth
  • Marital status
  • Date and day of the accident
  • Time of the accident
  • The basis of the claim
  • A brief description of the property, nature, and extent of the damage and the location of where the property may be inspected (if applicable)
  • The nature and extent of each injury or cause of death
  • The names and addresses of any witnesses present at the time of the accident
  • The dollar amount of the claim, including separations for the following:
    • Property damage
    • Personal injury
    • Wrongful death
    • The combined total

In addition to the aforementioned information, you’ll also need to provide the information for any insurance policies you hold. For that, you’ll need the following information about your insurance:

  • The name and address of your insurance company
  • Your insurance policy number
  • Whether you’ve filed a claim with your insurance carrier for this circumstance
  • The action (if any) that your insurance carrier has taken or has proposed to take in response to your claim
  • Whether you hold public liability and property damage insurance

Where to File Your Claim

After you’ve completed the Standard Form 95, you’ll need to submit it to the appropriate federal agency whose employee was involved in the incident. If the incident involves more people than just you, the other people involved should submit separate claim forms.

If you’ve been injured or your property was damaged due to the negligence or wrongdoing of a federal employee, you may be entitled to compensation. Our accomplished attorney, Christopher R. Abrego, is here to help. Our team has helped many other people in similar situations, and we can help you, too. Don’t hesitate—reach out right away.

Call The Abrego Law Firm, LLC today at (404) 334-3324 to speak with an accomplished attorney about your case.