Call Today 404.334.3324

What is the Federal Tort Claims Act and Why is it Important?

The Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) in tandem with The Federally Supported Health Centers Assistance Act of 1992 and 1995 provides that HRSA-supported health center workers are considered federal employees. Due to their federal employee status, they’re immune from lawsuits, and instead, the federal government acts as their primary insurer.

Read on to learn more about the FTCA and why it’s important.

The Basics

Under the FTCA, HRSA-supported health centers that are eligible can be provided with medical malpractice liability protection, and instead, the federal government will act as their primary insurer.

This is important because if, for example, you visit a health center that’s covered by the FTCA and they make a big mistake while you’re under their care, you will not be able to sue the individual that made the mistake. Rather, you’ll need to sue the United States federal government. That means the federal government will be responsible for paying your settlement, not the individual employee.

What To Do If You’re Injured

If you’ve been injured or you’ve had your property damaged due to a wrongful or negligent act committed by a federal employee, you may file a claim with the government to receive compensation to cover the injury or damage.

In order to present a viable claim, the following must be present:

  • You were injured or your property was damaged by a federal government employee
  • The employee acted within the scope of their official duties
  • The employee acted negligently or wrongfully
  • The negligent or wrongful act generally prompted the injury or damage

You must be able to provide documentation establishing that your claim supports all elements of the FTCA.

We’re Here For You

If you’ve been injured due to the negligence or wrongful act of a federal government employee, we’re here to help. Our attorneys at The Abrego Law Firm, LLC are highly skilled in this area of the law, and we’ve helped many other people in situations just like yours. Let us help you, too. Don’t hesitate to contact our office with your case right away!

Call The Abrego Law Firm, LLC today at (404) 334-3324 to speak with an accomplished attorney about your case.